18K Gold "Parentesi" Ring Set with a Cabochon Ruby
5.5 ring size
ruby approx. 2.40 cts.
gross weight 7.5 dwts
signed with stamp BVLGARI
The famous Roman jewelry house Bulgari was founded in 1881 by Constantine Sotirios Boulgaris, who moved to Rome from Epirus, Greece by way of Corfu and Naples. By 1905 Sotirio Bulgari (his Italianized name) had established his shop on the Via Condotti which remains the flagship shop for the company.
Bulgari enjoyed great success in the 1930's, and then again in the 1950's following the lean WWII years. Rome was having a moment in the 1960's and Bulgari jewelry played a prominent role. Elizabeth Taylor became enthralled with Bulgari jewelry while filming the movie Cleopatra in 1962 and continued to collect Bulgari pieces throughout her life.
The genesis of the "Parentesi Collection" occured while Gianni Bulgari was doodling during a meeting discussing new jewelry designs. The brackets or "parentesi" became the basis for a whole new line of jewelry. This line was introduce in 1982.